Temporary resident permits: Work and study permits

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

A temporary resident permit (TRP) does not exempt the TRP holder or their family members from the requirement to apply for work and study permits.

When an application for a TRP is received, an officer may consider issuing

Note: When an application for a TRP is submitted at the same time and place as an application for a work permit and/or a study permit, the TRP is fee exempt (see subsection R298(2) of the IRPR). However, the applicant must pay the work or study permit fee.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: