Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP)
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
Important note: The following guidelines are effective for all post-graduation work permit applications received on or after February 14, 2019. The previous guidelines apply to all applications received before February 14, 2019. Post-graduation work permit applicants who have been refused the work permit based on the previous guidelines may submit a new application under the new guidelines, effective February 14, 2019, if they are eligible to apply.
The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B that is gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class within Express Entry.
- Post-graduation work permit validity and application
- Post-graduation work permit eligibility requirements
- Post-graduation work permit eligible programs and institutions
- Post-graduation work permit applicants and travel
Students who have completed their program of study
Students who have completed their program of study are allowed to work (under paragraph 186(w) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations [IRPR]) while they are waiting for a decision on their post-graduation work permit application, provided they meet all of the following criteria:
- they are or were holders of a valid study permit at the time of the post-graduation work permit application
- they were a full-time student enrolled at a DLI in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program
- they were authorized to work off-campus without a work permit
- they did not exceed the allowable hours of work
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: