Apply for a work permit — Work after graduation

If you want to work after completing your studies in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. See the eligibility requirements for a post-graduate work permit.

There are three steps to apply for the post-graduation work permit:

1. Get the application package

The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download and print the application package.

Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The fee for processing your form is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible for the post-graduation work permit before you apply.

Photocopy the blank forms and use one as a working copy. Keep the working copy for your records.

The application form contains instructions. Read those instructions and provide the required documents. If information or documents are missing, your application may be delayed. The document checklist in the application kit enumerates what documents to include.

Answer all questions carefully, completely and truthfully. Answers can be typed or handwritten (print clearly in black ink). Incomplete applications will not be processed. They will be returned to you.

Note: You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation that you have met the requirements of your academic program (such as a degree, diploma, transcript or official letter from the institution where you were studying).

If you have a valid off-campus work permit (these are usually issued for the same period as your study permit, for instance, a period of study plus 90 days), you can start the job while waiting for your work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.

If you do not have authorization to work off campus while waiting for your post-graduation work permit, you must wait until the permit arrives to begin your new job. It is illegal to work in Canada without a valid work permit.

When you apply for a post-graduation work permit, you do not have to get a labour market opinion from Service Canada.

2. Pay your application fees

When applying to the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, you must pay the “Open Work Permit Holder” fee and the standard Work Permit fee. Both fees are payable in Canadian funds only. You must pay your fees online when prompted as you apply. If you are not prompted to pay one of the fees, you must pay manually.

Pay your fees online

You will be prompted to pay all your fees automatically during the application process. To pay your fees online, you must have a:

Pay online after you apply

If you are not asked to pay the Open work permit holder fee during your application, you can still pay online:

  1. Select Temporary Residence for a list of fee options.
  2. Select the Open Work Permit Holder fee.
  3. Follow the instructions to complete your payment. Save a copy of your receipt to your computer.
  4. Attach your receipt using the Letter of Explanation option in the document checklist of your online application.

You may then proceed with your application normally.

For more detailed instructions, read the “Pay the fees” section of the application guide.

3. Submit your application

The application kit contains the mailing address where you must send your application.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: