Temporary resident: Application intake assessment
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
- Upon receipt of the application, determine whether the receiving office should be processing the application under R11(2);
Check that the application forms have been properly completed and signed by the applicant. All applicants (including children) 18 years and over must complete their own application form. Applicants under 18 must have a guardian or parent sign for them.
R10(2)(a) requires that an application contain all of the following for the applicant and all family members of the applicant, whether accompanying or not:
- birth date
- immigration status
- a statement whether the applicant or any of the family members is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal (R10(2)(a))
- Determine whether the applicant is in need of a temporary resident visa [R190].
Note: If the issuance of a visa will facilitate the travel of a visa-exempt person, officers may issue a visa if they are satisfied that all requirements have been met. (See Facilitation visas.)
Before returning a passport to a person who does not require a temporary resident visa, ensure that the passport is genuine and does not contain a photo substitution.
- Determine whether the applicant requires a study or work permit in addition to the temporary resident visa (Refer to Students, and Temporary Foreign Worker Guidelines);
- Determine whether the appropriate processing fee has been paid;
- Ensure the application is checked against FOSS/GCMS, existing immigration and visitor file records, and the Enforcement Information Index. If the applicant is a non-resident of the country of application, officers should request a records check from the visa office responsible for the country of citizenship or of habitual residence.
- Determine whether biometric information is required or has already been provided and whether the biometric fee has been paid.
- Determine if additional security checks are required.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: