Temporary resident extensions for minors

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

Minor children who are applying for an extension of temporary residence in Canada, even when studying without a permit [A30(2)] must satisfy the officer that they intend to reside only temporarily in Canada.

Children of parents who are visitors in Canada require a study permit to engage in studies in Canada.

Children of workers or students (or persons without status) may study without a permit, but must maintain their temporary resident status. Officers should grant this status for the same validity period as their parents' status by issuing a vistor record authorizing entry [A29].

A child who held a study permit on entry should be encouraged to apply to renew the study permit in Canada, when the time comes. Once the child is in Canada, they do not legally require a study permit, but they may find it easier to obtain a new TRV and/or study permit in the event that they leave and then seek re-entry into Canada. This is because, while temporary resident status expires automatically upon leaving Canada, a valid study permit indicates that permission to study in Canada still exists (upon the reauthorization of TR status). It is evidence that an officer was satisfied that the child met the requirements of a temporary resident.

All in-Canada visitor extension, study permit and work permit applications must be submitted electronically, with some exceptions. Consult the list of programs that are exempt from the in-Canada mandatory electronic application requirement.

Page details

Date modified: