Temporary residents: Inland applications for permanent residence and temporary resident status extension

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

In situations where an applicant who has visitor status submits an application for permanent residence to a case processing centre in Canada and, at the same time, submits an application for a work permit [pursuant to paragraph R207(b)], the visitor may be considered to have requested an extension of their temporary resident status [in accordance with subsection R183(5)]. They are considered to have implied status as a visitor, until a decision is made on their work permit application.

When no application for a work or study permit is received with the application for permanent residence, the applicant is obliged to apply to extend their visitor status.

All in-Canada visitor extension, study permit and work permit applications must be submitted electronically, with some exceptions. Consult the list of programs that are exempt from the in-Canada mandatory electronic application requirement.

Extending a visit after a work or study permit refusal

If a visitor in Canada applies for and is refused a work or study permit, their visitor status is not affected. Upon receiving notice of the work permit or study permit refusal, the visitor must submit a separate application to extend their temporary resident status as a visitor before the expiry date of their temporary resident status, if they wish to remain in Canada.

If their status at the time of the work permit or study permit refusal was valid due to the application of subsection R183(6) (i.e., it was "implied status"), then they will have to apply for a restoration of visitor status if they do not wish to leave Canada.

Page details

Date modified: