Temporary residents: Temporary resident status

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

A22 provides that a foreign national becomes a temporary resident if an officer is satisfied that they have applied for that status, have met the obligations set out in A20(1)(b) and are not inadmissible.

An officer must not issue a temporary resident visa (TRV) to a foreign national unless they are satisfied that the applicant will leave Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay. This authorized period must be temporary, because it applies only to temporary residents. Applicants may intend to eventually apply for permanent residence or, in fact, have an application in process, as provided for in A22(2). However, the officer must be satisfied that the applicant will respect the temporary period of stay that will be authorized upon entry.

The foreign national must satisfy both the officer assessing the TRV application and at the port of entry that they have the ability and willingness to leave Canada at the end of the temporary period authorized, regardless of a future decision with respect to permanent status. For additional information, please refer to the section on dual intent.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: