Temporary residents: Eligibility for extending temporary resident status

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

A person may apply to extend their status as a temporary resident in Canada beyond the initial period granted for their stay by the officer at the port of entry. This includes accompanying family members, regardless of whether or not the principal applicant will be extending their status in Canada. It will be up to the officer to make the final decision after reviewing the circumstances.

All in-Canada visitor record, study permit and work permit applications must be submitted electronically, with some exemptions. See the list of programs that are exempt from the mandatory electronic application requirement.

Applicants must:

  • apply before their status expires and have complied with all the conditions that were imposed on entry (R181).
  • also meet the requirements of R179, regardless of whether they initially required a temporary resident visa (TRV) or not.

Note: When a temporary resident extension document is issued in Canada for a period resulting in a stay in Canada in excess of six months for an individual from a designated country, an Immigration Medical Examination (IME) is normally required.

Many of the questions to consider in determining whether an applicant meets the eligibility criteria noted in R179 and R181 are outlined in assessing the application.

Additional questions that may help an officer determine eligibility

  • Consider the intentions of the client
    • What is the client doing in Canada?
    • How long has the applicant been here?
    • How long is the request for?
  • Officers must consider the reason given by the client for applying for the extension.
    • Are the plans well thought out or merely frivolous?
    • Taking the applicant’s situation in their home country into consideration, is a prolonged stay in Canada reasonable?
  • Determine whether the client has the means to support themselves or whether someone else is willing to provide adequate support.
  • Assess the client’s ability to leave Canada. Officers should consider whether the applicant has the means to either return to their home country or to proceed onward to a third country.
  • What was the original purpose of the visit to Canada? Has it been fulfilled? If no, was sufficient time originally granted to fulfil the purpose?
  • What family, employment or other responsibilities and obligations has the person left behind and how have they been discharged? Is the proposed extension logical, reasonable and feasible in light of these circumstances?

Relevant topics to determine whether to extend the authorization to remain in Canada of temporary residents working or studying without permits

  • Students
  • Temporary Foreign Workers Guidelines

Note: If a person who is of normal working age wishes to extend their visitor status in Canada, the officer must satisfy themselves that the applicant is not working or studying without authorization before granting an extension.

Passport validity

With some exceptions, R52 requires that an applicant hold a passport or travel document that is valid for the entire period authorized for the person’s stay. Officers may not, therefore, extend status beyond the validity date of the travel document.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: