Program delivery update - January 1, 2015
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
Launch of Express Entry and e-applications for certain economic permanent residence programs
Express Entry is Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC’s) new electronic system for managing the intake of economic immigration applications submitted on or after January 1, 2015, for the following programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP);
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP);
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC); and
- a portion of the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).
This new system will be a required first step for foreign nationals looking to immigrate to Canada under these programs.
To express their interest in coming to Canada, foreign nationals must create an Express Entry profile in their MyCIC account (representatives would create the profile in the Authorized Paid Representatives Portal).
Foreign nationals who are accepted into the Express Entry pool (a.k.a., “candidates”) will be eligible to receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence.
CIC will regularly issue invitations to top candidates from the pool so they can apply for permanent residence. Candidates will then have 60 days to submit a complete electronic application for permanent residence through their MyCIC account.
Express Entry eliminates the requirement to process applicants in the above programs through a first in, first out, method. CIC aims to process 80 percent of complete Express Entry applications in six months or less.
Note: Quebec’s economic immigration programs are not managed through Express Entry.
- Express Entry overview
- Creating an Express Entry profile and requirements for entering the pool
- Language test scores for persons with disabilities
- Comprehensive Ranking System
- Express Entry rounds of invitations and the Invitation to Apply
- Intake of electronic applications submitted through Express Entry
- Express Entry and the Provincial Nominee Program
- Processing electronic applications submitted through Express Entry
- Legal references related to permanent residence
- Forms related to permanent residence
- Terms and definitions related to permanent residence
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
- Federal Skilled Trades (FST) Class
- Federal Skilled Workers (FSW)
- Provincial Nominees
- Intake: Applications received on or after January 1, 2015, for permanent resident programs subject to Express Entry
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: