Program delivery update – May 29, 2015
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
Coming into force of new elements of the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act
On June 19, 2014, Bill C-24 received royal assent and the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act became law. However, many of the changes to the Citizenship Act included in Bill C-24 required additional legislative action before they could come into force. With the enactment of Bill C-44, the following elements come into force as of May 28, 2015:
- new prohibitions resulting from misrepresentation on a citizenship application;
- new grounds for revocation and streamlined procedures for revocation; and
- new procedures for renunciation.
- Revocation by the Minister
- Revocation by the Federal Court
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: