Program delivery update: International Experience Canada – July 10, 2018
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
Four program delivery instructions (PDIs) on the International Experience Canada (IEC) program have been updated.
The updates to the PDIs are summarized as follows:
Bilateral agreements and arrangements
- Austria: Working Holiday category added.
- Chile: Frequency of participation changed to 2 participations. Repeat category is permitted to participants from Chile (under the 3 categories) instead of 1 participation.
- Czech Republic: A note has been added for Czech nationals applying under International Co-op (Internship).
- Japan: Residence requirements for Japanese candidates corrected.
- Netherlands: Residence requirements for applicants under the 2 categories corrected.
- Sweden: Residence requirements for applicants under the 2 categories corrected.
International Experience Canada: Overview
The PDI has been clarified. For example, migration offices abroad are responsible for processing all applications from foreign nationals who require a temporary resident visa.
Participation eligibility requirements
- Citizenship and residency:
- Clarification made on how candidates can determine residency.
- Age requirements:
- Clarification made regarding age requirement for Austrian candidates.
- A note added to provide guidance on age requirement for foreign nationals who apply through recognized organizations.
- Previous participation or discontinuous stay:
- Clarification made regarding the policy on repeat participation for foreign nationals who apply through recognized organizations
- Applicant not accompanied by dependants:
- A note added about the process for obtaining a spousal open work permit, if the IEC participant holds an open work permit.
- Medical examination:
- Two bullets added to provide general guidance on who is required to have an immigration medical examination.
- Police certificate:
- Clarification made that the 6-month period must be consecutive and not cumulative.
Recognized organizations for foreign youth
- Repeat participation:
- Guidance added that the 2 participations using services of recognized organizations are cumulative between all present, past or future recognized organizations.
- Clarification of the rule that applies to applicants who are from 1 of IEC’s 33 bilateral countries and territories and are using services of a recognized organization.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: