Program delivery update: New temporary resident permit (TRP) for family violence cases
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It is posted on the Department’s website as a courtesy to stakeholders.
July 26, 2019
New instructions are now available for the issuance of a temporary resident permit (TRP) for out-of-status foreign nationals experiencing family violence. As of July 26, 2019, officers may issue an initial, fee-exempt TRP and open work permit, per the corresponding Ministerial Instructions (MI) and public policy. This measure also extends access to the Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) where warranted.
The new instructions include guidelines on
- eligibility for a family violence TRP
- what constitutes family violence
- assessing evidence of family violence
- initial identification of family violence cases
- protection of individuals in cases of family violence
- issuance of TRPs
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: