Evaluation of the Global Assistance for Irregular Migrants Program
Appendix A: Timelines
17 Oct 2009
- MV Ocean Lady arrives in Canada - identified as a test case for smugglers
- MV Sun identified as destined for Canada - unable to engage international partners to intercept
12 Aug 2010
- MV Sun arrives in Canada
- Special Advisor on Human Smuggling and Illegal Migration established to co-ordinate the whole of government prevention effort
- Over 200 Sri Lankan Tamils intending to join a maritime venture to Canada detained by Togolese authorities and hundreds of others were identified in other West African Countries
5 Jan 2012
- Canada provides contribution funding, through DFATD, to the IOM to facilitate the assisted voluntary return of reintegration of over 548 Sri Lankan Tamils in West Africa. Project runs until 30 April 2013.
- The GAIM program was created under CIC to deal with the consequences of interceptions in transit states and secure and maintain transit state cooperation.
- Treasury Board approves the Submission and Terms and Conditions for GAIM.
- GAIM program comes into operation with a Contribution Agreement for FY 2013/14 signed between CIC and the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
19 June 2013
- Trigger letter from the Special Advisor on Human Smuggling and Illegal Migration to the Deputy Minister of CIC identifying an irregular migration event by organizers in West Africa believed to be targeting Canada.
28 June 2012
- Protecting Canada's Immigration System (CIC) introduced legislative changes and measures to deter human smuggling by limiting the rights and entitlements of smuggled migrants and imposing stricter penalties on smugglers.
- The Contribution Agreement for FY 2014/15 signed.
16 June 2014
- Trigger letter from the Special Advisor on Human Smuggling and Illegal Migration to the Deputy Minister of CIC indicating that irregular migration syndicates are actively targeting Canada from South East Asia and requesting the implementation of the GAIM program in that region. In addition the letter requests GAIM undertakes support for a Sri Lankan migrant destined for Canada and stranded in St. Lucia.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: