Application for a citizenship certificate (adults and minors)
This application is for Canadian citizens who want to apply for a citizenship certificate. Citizenship certificates are proof of Canadian citizenship.
For minors (under 18 years old), see the parental consent policy. If you are applying for a minor, remember that all questions apply to the minor.
Important: If your application is incomplete or missing information, we will return it to you.
This application package includes:
- Instruction Guide [CIT 0001]
- Document Checklist [CIT 0014] (PDF, 0.99 MB)
- Application for a Citizenship Certificate (adults and minors) [CIT 0001] (PDF, 3.07 MB)
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
Depending on your situation, you may need to submit:
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31 KB)
- Request form for a Change of Sex or Gender Identifier [IRM 0002] (PDF, 1.79 MB)
- Confirmation of Eligibility Form to Reclaim Indigenous Name [IRM 0004] (PDF, 1.82 MB)
- Statutory Declaration Form to Reclaim an Indigenous Name on Canadian Citizenship Certificates or Permanent Resident Card [IRM 0005] (PDF, 1.82 MB)
- an amended birth certificate or legal change of name document
We no longer issue citizenship cards.
As of February 1, 2012, the citizenship certificate has replaced the plastic wallet-sized citizenship card as proof of citizenship. We no longer give out citizenship cards or the commemorative certificates that came with them.
If you apply to update or replace your citizenship card, we will send you the new certificate.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: