Application for a citizenship certificate (adults and minors)
This application is for Canadian citizens who want to apply for a citizenship certificate. Citizenship certificates are proof of Canadian citizenship.
For minors (under 18 years old), see the parental consent policy. If you are applying for a minor, remember that all questions apply to the minor.
Before you apply online, make sure you have:
- the instruction guide to fill out the forms
- the supporting documents (PDF, 0.99 MB) you need to submit
- a digital photo that meets our specifications
- a scanner or digital camera
- a valid credit or debit card
Depending on your situation, you may need to submit:
You need an account to apply online. Use it to pay your fees and check your status.
Once you start your online application, you have 60 days to submit it.
- The instruction guide to prepare and submit your application
- Document checklist [CIT 0014] (PDF, 0.99 MB)
- Application for a citizenship certificate (adults and minors) [CIT 0001] (PDF, 3.07 MB)
- Get help to download, save and open this form
- Citizenship photo specifications
Depending on your situation you may need to submit:
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 1.52 MB)
- Request form for a Change of Sex or Gender Identifer [IRM 0002] (PDF, 1.79 MB)
- Read the instruction guide and download your application forms
- Fill out, sign and date your application forms
- Pay the fees
- Submit your application
Important: If your application is incomplete or missing information, we will return it to you.
We no longer issue citizenship cards.
As of February 1, 2012, the citizenship certificate has replaced the plastic wallet-sized citizenship card as proof of citizenship. We no longer give out citizenship cards or the commemorative certificates that came with them.
If you apply to update or replace your citizenship card, we will send you the new certificate.
- Date modified: