How to get a police certificate – Australia
Name of the document you need
Australian National Police Certificate – Overseas Visa – Supply to a Country Other than Australia Name Check only (code number 35) or
- Code 41 – Overseas Employment – General Employment
- Code 42 – Overseas Employment – Aged/Disabled Care
- Code 43 – Overseas Employment – Teaching
- Code 44 – Overseas Employment – Working with Children
- Code 45 – Overseas Employment – Nursing, Hospital Employment
Police certificate and IRCC requirements
You must provide a police certificate when you apply for
- permanent residence
- some temporary residence programs
How to apply
There are 2 ways to apply for an Australian National Police Certificate:
Purpose of check: you must provide the reason why you need a police certificate.
- Purpose type: “Commonwealth Employment / Purpose”
- Purpose of Check: “35 – Overseas employment/visa – for supply to a country other than Australia”
We won’t accept complete disclosure certificates.
If you live or have lived in Queensland, you must submit a traffic history with your police certificate that goes back to your 18th birthday or the day on which your first Australian driver’s licence was issued. You can apply online through Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads.
If you live or have lived in Victoria, you must submit a full licence history search with your police certificate that goes back to your 18th birthday or the day on which your first Australian driver’s licence was issued. You can apply online through VicRoads.
If you’re not able to provide a traffic history or a full licence history search, you must provide a letter issued by the Queensland and/or Victoria roads authority with your police certificate to confirm that you’ve never held a driver’s licence in that state.
Criminal Records, Australian Federal Police
Locked Bag 8550
Canberra City ACT 2601
Phone from Australia: (02) 6202 3333
Phone outside of Australia: +61 2 6202 3333
- Date modified: