How to get a police certificate – Austria

If you need to give your fingerprints for a police certificate, this isn’t the same as giving your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) for an application.

Name of the document you need

Criminal Record Certificate (Strafregisterbescheinigung)

Police certificate and IRCC requirements

You must provide a police certificate when you apply for permanent residence in Canada and for some temporary residence programs (please see the document checklist and/or visa office requirements for details).

How to apply

If you live in Austria

Apply in person at the Polizeikommissariat in Vienna or the Landespolizeidirektion of your town. If you live in a city or village without a Landespolizeidirektion, apply at the Bürgermeister office.

You can also nominate a representative with power of attorney to apply for or pick up your police certificate on your behalf.

If you live outside of Austria

Apply at your nearest Austrian embassy or consulate.

Special considerations

  • If you don’t have any convictions, the Strafregisterbescheinigung will be bilingual (German/English) and will not require a translation.
  • If you do have convictions listed on your certificate, you should also get a certified copy of your court convictions (Urteilsabschrift) from the court directly or through an authorized representative.
    • You’ll need to translate both documents into English or French.
  • To apply online, you’ll need a citizen's card (Bürgerkarte) and a qualifying electronic signature with your mobile phone (Handy-Signatur).

Contact information

Austrian government help website

Page details

Date modified: