Search of citizenship records: About the process
What you can search for
You can ask for a search of citizenship records to confirm a person’s citizenship and naturalization information.
- The request can be for yourself or another person.
- If we find the record, we’ll send you a record letter that’s valid for 6 months.
Search of Citizenship Records: $75
We couldn't load the data. Try again. ?
- check the date a person became a Canadian citizen
- confirm the status of a person’s Canadian citizenship to
- an employer or
- a government (federal, provincial, territorial, municipal or foreign)
- renew a foreign passport (proving that a person is not a Canadian citizen)
- learn about your ancestors or family members (genealogical research) or
- apply for pension
- prove a person’s Canadian citizenship or
- apply for a Canadian passport
For these situations, you need to apply for a citizenship certificate.
- Date modified: