Search of citizenship records: About the process
Search of Citizenship Records: $75
10 months ?
What you can search for
You can request a search of citizenship records to confirm citizenship and naturalization information.
- The request can be for yourself or another person.
- If you’re requesting information about another person, you need that person’s consent unless they’re deceased.
You must give a valid reason for the search, such as to:
- check the date a person was granted Canadian citizenship (naturalized)
- confirm the status of Canadian citizenship to an employer or Canadian/provincial/foreign government
- renew a foreign passport (to prove that a person isn’t a Canadian citizen)
- learn about your ancestors or family members (genealogical research)
- apply for pension
You cannot use the record letter as proof of citizenship. To get proof of citizenship, you need to apply for a citizenship certificate.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: