Agri-Food Pilot: Who can apply

Changes to eligible proof of work experience

As of August 18, 2023, we accept union reference letters as proof of work experience.


To be eligible, you must

Work experience

You must have eligible Canadian work experience.

Your Canadian work experience must be

You must give us proof of your work experience, such as

Open work permits

If you currently have an open work permit, but you used to have a work permit through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, you may have eligible work experience.

However, any work experience you gained while holding an open work permit does not count.

How to calculate your hours of work experience

Job offer

You must have a genuine job offer.

The job you’re offered must meet all of the following requirements:

Transition to NOC 2021

If you apply for permanent residence on or after November 16, 2022, we will still accept job offers made before November 16, 2022 using NOC 2016 codes.

Your job offer will be considered valid as long as:

  • it meets the eligibility criteria and
  • the NOC 2016 code on your job offer is equal to one of the NOC 2021 codes eligible for this pilot.

Language requirements

You must prove your ability in English or French.

The minimum language requirements are Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) Level 4 in :

You must submit your results from an approved language test.

Your test results must be less than 2 years old when you apply. We count the 2 years from the date you took the test.

Find out more about language testing

Educational requirements

You must have at least

How to get an educational credential assessment

Settlement funds

You must prove that you have enough money to settle in Canada. You’ll need to prove that you have enough funds to support yourself and any family members you may have, even if they’re not coming to Canada with you.

If you’re already working in Canada with a valid work permit when you apply, you don’t need to provide proof of settlement funds.

Find out more about settlement funds

Page details

Date modified: