Agri-Food Pilot: If your application is approved

If we approve your application

Your COPR has information about who you are, as well as your photo.

Check to make sure your information is correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there’s a mistake on your COPR, contact us to let us know.

We can’t extend your COPR, so you should make sure to use it before it expires.

If you’re already in Canada

Make sure you keep your information up to date

Use the web form if you need to update your contact information or tell us about changes to your family situation (for example, marriage, birth, divorce or death).

You need to confirm your permanent resident status virtually

In most cases, we can confirm permanent resident (PR) status

You don’t have to do anything until we contact you using the email or phone number you provided.

Confirm your PR status through the Permanent Residence Portal

You’ll get emails from a mailbox ending in

  1. asking you to confirm your email address
  2. asking you to confirm that you’re physically in Canada
  3. with information about the Permanent Residence Portal (and options if you can’t use it)
    1. If you already have an account in the portal, we'll send you an invite to use your existing account.
    2. If you don’t have an account in the portal, follow the instructions in the email we send. We’ll create an account for you. Don’t create your own account as this can delay the process.

Lean more about the Permanent Residence Portal.

You must tell us if you leave Canada before we grant you PR status.

Permanent resident cards

Once you become a permanent resident, we’ll make an e-COPR available to you in the Permanent Residence Portal to provide proof of your new status in Canada. In the portal, we’ll also ask you to provide a photo so we can start the process of issuing your first PR card. You don’t need to apply for your first PR card.

While you wait for your PR card, you can use your signed e-COPR to

If you’re outside Canada

There are things you can do to prepare for life in Canada:

When you arrive in Canada

You must have

If you need an electronic travel authorization (eTA), we’ll automatically issue one to you and link it to your passport.

We check your identity when you arrive in Canada

When you arrive in Canada, you’ll meet an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The officer will

To help speed up your entry to Canada, keep your passport and other documents with you at all times. Don’t pack them in your luggage.

We won’t allow you into Canada if you

If we can’t verify your identity, you may be detained by a border services officer. These officers help protect the health and safety of Canadians.

If the officer finds that you’re not admissible to Canada, you won’t be allowed to enter Canada. If you came by air, you’ll have to take a return flight to where you came from.

If you’re admissible and there are no problems when you arrive, the officer will

If you change your address within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must tell us using the web form.

Children under 18 must meet the same entry requirements as adults. The border services officer may ask minor children to show other documents depending on whether the child is travelling alone or with someone.

Disclosure of funds

If you arrive in Canada with more than CAN$10,000, you must tell this to the CBSA officer. If you don’t tell them, you could be fined, and your funds could be seized.

What you can bring into Canada

Before you travel to Canada, see the CBSA website to find out what you can and cannot bring into the country.

After you arrive in Canada

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: