Find out if you’re inadmissible

A Canadian immigration officer will decide if you can enter Canada when you apply for a visa, an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or when you arrive at a port of entry.

Some people are not allowed to come to Canada. They’re “inadmissible” under Canada’s immigration law.

There are different reasons we may not let you into Canada, such as security, criminal or medical reasons.

What happens if you’re inadmissible

Normally, if you’re inadmissible to Canada, you won’t be allowed to enter the country. If you have a valid reason to travel to Canada, we may issue you a temporary resident permit.

If you’ve committed or been convicted of a crime, you have a few options.

Penalties for driving while impaired

If you drive while impaired by alcohol or drugs, including cannabis, you may be inadmissible for serious criminality. This means:

  • you won’t be able to enter or stay in Canada unless we issue you a temporary resident permit
  • you’ll have to pay the C$200 processing fee for the permit and there’s no guarantee you’ll be allowed to enter or stay in the country

Find out more about the new penalties.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: