Temporary resident permit for foreign nationals who were in state care

A temporary resident permit (TRP) may be issued to a foreign national who is inadmissible or does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to allow them to become a temporary resident.

You don’t pay a fee

Eligible foreign nationals who were in state care don’t pay a fee for a TRP, a work permit or a study permit.

Effective September 29, 2023, foreign nationals who came to Canada under the age of 19 and were under the legal responsibility of the child protection system may apply for a TRP for themselves and their eligible family members.

In some cases, provincial and territorial child welfare agencies didn’t apply for permanent residence or citizenship on behalf of these individuals when they were eligible and in their care and, as a result, they lost their permanent resident or temporary resident status.

Some of these individuals are now at risk of removal.

If you want to stay in Canada permanently

Eligible foreign nationals who were in state care can also apply for permanent residence through a special pathway. Learn more about the special pathway to permanent residence.

Page details

Date modified: