Permanent residence confirmation portal
To manage the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in most cases, we can confirm permanent resident (PR) status
- without in-person interviews
- through a new, secure portal
What you can do in the portal
Through this portal
- you can declare you’re in Canada
- you can confirm your address
- you can submit a recent photo we will use to make your PR card
- we can give you access to your proof of permanent resident (PR) status
- you can share personal information safely
You can only have 1 profile per person. Each member of your family will have their own username and password.
The portal is separate from your IRCC secure account. There’s no information about your applications and you can’t check their status.
How the portal works
Once we approve your application, we’ll
- send you an invitation to confirm
- if you want to use the portal
- your email address
- all email addresses for each person on your application
- create an account for you (you can’t create one yourself)
- send another email, after you confirm the above, with a link to the portal and instructions on how to sign in with your username and a temporary password
Then you can
- sign in for the first time and create your own password
- confirm you are in Canada
- provide an updated home or postal address
- upload your photo (this must be a digital or scanned photo, not a picture of a paper photo taken with a camera or phone)
Once we review and accept the photo you submit, it will show this in the portal and you should get your PR card within one week. We’ll send it to the mailing address in Canada you gave us. You can check to see if we’ve accepted your photo through the portal.
Uploading and submitting photos
If we return your photo, you can resubmit a new photo into the portal. Make sure the new photo meets all the photo requirements listed in the portal before you upload a new one.
Reasons your photo may be returned
- photos are too dark
- facial features not visible
- glare on photo
- other reasons – see photo requirements for details
To submit a photo
- upload a photo – it can be
- a professional digital photo in JPEG or PNG format
- a scanned professional photo (don’t take a picture of a paper photo with your digital camera or phone)
- a selfie
- you can replace your photo with another photo up until when you submit it
- you don’t have to delete the previous photo to upload a new one (it automatically replaces the previous photo)
- press “submit” (once you do this, it can no longer be changed)
Other important information
- If there are any issues with the PR card process, we’ll contact you directly.
- If you can’t access the portal due to accessibility issues or special needs, contact us using the email address shown in your invitation message.
- You can’t renew your PR card through the portal. Find out how to renew your PR card.
- A representative can’t access the portal on your behalf.
Help for technical issues
Reset a password
When we create an account for you, we’ll send a temporary password valid for 14 days to your email address. If this password expires, or you forget a password, you can reset it through the link in the portal.
Supported browsers and devices
You can access the portal using
- Firefox or
It works on mobile devices and desktop/PC.
Our system briefly needs access to your photo library so you can select the photo you want to upload to the portal. This access won’t give us the ability to go through your photo library, or access it for any other purpose.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: