Start your life in Canada

Learn about living in Canada and find out how to get the help you need to settle.

Changes to impaired driving and cannabis-related crime laws

New penalties for impaired driving and cannabis-related crimes may affect your immigration status in Canada. If you commit one of these crimes, you may lose your status and have to leave Canada.

Services and information

Get to know Canada

Weather, laws, human rights, provinces and territories, family law and your rights and duties in Canada

Health care

Health care, extra health insurance, health cards, waiting periods and coverage for protected people and refugees

Find a place to live

Temporary housing, types of housing, renting and buying a home, basic services and furnishing your home

Plan your finances

Canadian currency, exchanging foreign money, cost of living, tipping, banks, taxes and preventing fraud

Enrol in school

Education ministries, types of schools, classrooms, registering your children, adjusting to school, getting involved, adult education and post-secondary schools

Get a driver's licence

Traveling between cities, getting around cities and towns and road safety

Improve your English and French

Improve your language skills for work and how to register for language classes and language tests

Connect with people in your community

Immigrant-serving organizations, volunteering, community centres, sports teams, social clubs and places of worship

Celebrate being Canadian

Citizenship activities, multiculturalism, contests and awards

Get help before arriving in Canada

In-person and online services, finding a job, settlement and languages

Get your credentials assessed

Educational Credential Assessments, regulated and non-regulated jobs and agencies that can assess you


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: