Learn about health care in Canada
Canada’s health care system is unique. In this section, we explain how Canada’s health care system works and highlight some useful resources for newcomers.
Get information during national health emergencies
During national health emergencies, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) provides information and guidance in multiple languages. This includes the COVID-19 pandemic.
Learn how our system works, who can get public health insurance, what’s covered, and how to contact provincial and territorial ministries of health.
Public health insurance is only one of the ways you can get health coverage in Canada. Learn about the other options.
Get help finding a doctor or a dentist, as well as help setting appointments, using a walk-in clinic and if you don’t speak English or French.
Find resources, get help with a crisis, and learn how to manage your mental health and well-being.
Learn tips and common health practices that will help you stay healthy after you get to Canada, including vaccinations, staying active, and getting support during pregnancy.
Get help finding a job, learning English and French, looking for a place to live and more.
Health resources in Canada
- Find information about disease prevention and public health emergencies– Public Health Agency of Canada
- Learn how to improve and maintain your health – Health Canada
- Get resources about food and nutrition – Health Canada
- Stay physically active with tips and support from ParticipACTION - ParticipACTION
- Find a local Community Health Centre – Canadian Association of Community Health Centres
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: