Services for newcomer youth

Young people settling in Canada face unique challenges. While anyone moving to a new country will take time to adjust, the pressures of adjusting to life in a new country can be especially difficult for youth. Changes can include

This is a lot to handle. Don’t take this journey alone.

On this page, we’ve gathered resources that newcomer youth and young adults can use to start their journey and find support to build the life they want for themselves, whatever that looks like.

Being a parent with younger children can be challenging. Get support for families with younger children.

On this page

Find out what you’re eligible for

The settlement services on this page are for young permanent residents, including resettled refugees. They can benefit young people, but each program or service helps a wide range of age groups.

Even if you’re not a permanent resident, you may still have access to some of these services. If you don’t know if you’re eligible

Get help from settlement service providers

There are more than 500 settlement service providers across Canada (not including Quebec) that deliver settlement services to permanent residents, including resettled refugees. Many of them offer support directly to youth. You can find services like

Find settlement services near you (opens in a new tab) 

Get an education

In Canada, your parents or guardians have to make sure you get an education. Getting an education is your right. Depending on your age, there are different schools that you might want to go to and programs that you can take advantage of.

Find out about supports in your school

Starting at a new school can be scary and stressful. To support newcomer students, many schools offer

The SWIS initiative places settlement workers in schools that have high numbers of newcomer students. These workers can help to make the transition easier for you and your whole family by

While SWIS is not available in all schools, many schools offer similar services. Schools often design the programs to help newcomer students and their families adjust to school life. They recognize that being new to Canada can be a barrier to success at school.

Ask your school or a local settlement service provider if SWIS or another option is available to you.

Learn more about Canada’s education system.

Get support for your mental health and well-being

Mental health refers to how we think, feel and behave. It’s an important part of everyone’s overall health. Adapting to life in Canada as a young person is hard, no matter how much support you have. Here are some ways to take care of your mental health and well-being:

Mental health resources are available in different places in your community. You may be able to access information and help

Find more information about

Family and gender-based violence

You have the right to live free from all forms of abuse, violence, and neglect. Despite this, many youth across Canada face family and gender-based violence because of their

Gender-based violence is a violation of human rights.

Family violence is any abuse adults or children experience in their families or homes.

There are many types of abuse or neglect, and the abusers could be anyone in your life, including

In Canada, we don’t tolerate abuse, violence, or neglect. You don’t have to stay in an abusive situation. If you’re experiencing violence or abuse of any kind, reach out to someone for help.

All provinces and territories in Canada have crisis lines for those experiencing family or gender-based violence.

Contact Kids Help Phone

Kids Help Phone isn’t just for young kids. Children aged 5 or more and young adults up to 29 years of age can call the Kids Help Phone and get confidential care from professional counsellors any time, day or night, for free by

Access Kids Help Phone resources for newcomer youth (opens in a new tab) .

Get ready to work

There are programs that can help you prepare if you’re

Even if you don’t consider yourself a youth anymore and identify as a young adult, you may still find support for your move from secondary (high) school to post-secondary education and the work force.

Find help from local settlement service providers for things like

Designed for all youth in Canada, our Youth Digital Gateway can help you

Find services for refugee youth

If you’ve come to Canada as a refugee youth, you may want services that were made for you. Many service providers offer services for refugees, including

Find refugee services in Canada

Support for families with younger children

National Child Day

Find resources and activities to inform you about the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child and to help you educate your child.

Learn more about National Child Day.

If you have young children or are expecting a child, you may be feeling overwhelmed by the amount of the information out there. It can be hard to find good advice or recognize misinformation. We’ve collected some trustworthy resources to help you.

Get parenting information and tips from the Public Health Agency of Canada, including

You can also review resources for newcomer parents and families in 16 languages (opens in a new tab)  from CMAS (Childminding Monitoring, Advisory and Support), including

Find child care services

If you need child care services, you can check with a local settlement service provider. Many of these providers offer child care services for newcomer children.

Find newcomer services near you.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: