How Canadians can help #WelcomeAfghans
We continue to see an outpouring of goodwill from Canadians across the country. This enthusiastic support is key to our efforts to welcome more Afghan refugees to safety in Canada.
Since August 2021, Canadians have
- given more than $1 million
- donated over 200,000 goods, including children’s toys, clothing, and personal care products
- opened their homes with more than 5,000 offers of temporary housing
Many refugees need extra help settling in Canada. Supportive communities and service provider organizations are key to helping build new lives in Canada. You can help in different ways.
Many Afghan refugees had to leave everything behind and start over from scratch. Your donation can help with this difficult transition in different ways.
All funds are directed through service provider organizations across Canada helping to settle Afghan families.
You can choose to donate to specific
- regions or communities
- refugee families
You can help Afghan refugees start a new life in Canada by donating goods, like clothing, furniture, and children’s items in one of these ways:
- A Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) service provider can help you donate items.
- The Calgary Catholic Immigration Society (CCIS) coordinates donations on behalf of RAP service providers who welcome Afghan refugees across Canada.
By volunteering, you'll be involved in building communities where Afghan refugees feel welcomed and supported.
There are a few ways you can volunteer to help newly-arrived Afghan families.
- Reach out to a Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) service provider in your area
A local RAP service provider can tell you how you can help. These organizations help refugees:
- find housing and jobs
- learn English or French
- get involved in their community
- enroll their children in school
- Get matched with newcomers to Canada through the Canada Connects initiative
The Canada Connects initiative matches newcomers with Canadian citizens or long-time community members to help them settle in their new community.
- Connect with the Calgary Catholic Immigration Society (CCIS)
The CCIS coordinates volunteers on behalf of RAP service providers who work together to welcome Afghan refugees across the country.
If you live in Quebec
Email the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration to find out how you can support Afghan resettlement efforts in Quebec.
Sponsor an Afghan refugee
You can help Afghan refugees by sponsoring them to come to Canada. You can sponsor a refugee:
As a group, you can sponsor a
- specific refugee or refugee family
- refugee referred by a visa office abroad
Find out more about
How businesses can help
Connect with a local service provider organization to hire a newcomer or learn about other ways you can help. Encourage other employers in your community to do the same.
You can also foster a work environment that celebrates diversity and promotes cultural exchange. Activities could include:
- organizing multicultural social events
- supporting other community organizations that help newcomers
- setting up a mentoring program for newcomers
Businesses can also email the Calgary Catholic Immigration Society to find out how they can help.
Canada: A History of Refuge
Visit our online refugee exhibition to learn more about refugees in Canada.
Learn about Canada's role concerning refugees
Canada is recognized around the world for its leadership in offering a safe haven to people who need refugee protection. Find out what Canada is doing to help refugees.
Stories from former refugees
Watch inspirational stories from former refugees about coming to Canada.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: