Request to submit your refugee claim on paper from inside Canada
Most people have to submit their refugee claim online if they’re already inside Canada. However, some people may not be able to for certain accessibility reasons.
Before you contact us about applying on paper
If you’re having problems with applying online
- ask a friend, family member, community member or representative to help you, or
- contact a local non-governmental organization (NGO) or community organization that can help refugee claimants
If you can’t access the Internet from home or work, or you don’t have a printer
- ask a friend, family member or community member for help
- try a public library or business that provides internet access and printing services
- contact a local NGO or community organization that can help refugee claimants
How to submit your refugee claim on paper
Step 1: Send us an email
Send an email to IRCC.RefugeePortalExemption-ExemptionPortailRefugies.IRCC@cic.gc.ca, explaining why you can’t submit an application online. This could be because you
- have a disability that makes it difficult to use the online application
- have another valid reason for needing to apply on paper
We’ll only reply to emails about requests to apply on paper from claimants who are already in Canada. We’ll reply to emails within 2 business days.
Step 2: We review your email request
We’ll review your request and determine if you’re eligible to apply on paper. If you are, we’ll send you an email with
- an instruction guide
- all the forms you need to complete
- information about completing and submitting your paper application
Step 3: Complete your forms
You must complete the forms we send you before we’ll schedule you for an in-person appointment. We’ll send you the details for this appointment.
Step 4: Go to your appointment
Make sure you bring your original passport or any other identification documents you have to your appointment. At your appointment, we’ll
- review your application
- collect your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) and any required documents
- conduct your eligibility interview (if we can)
If we don’t conduct your interview during this appointment, we’ll schedule you for one and give you the details. It’s mandatory to go to your interview.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: