After your hearing – Refugee status from inside Canada

After your hearing, the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) will approve or refuse your refugee claim.

If the IRB accepts your claim, you will get “protected person” status. This means you can stay in Canada and you can apply to become a permanent resident of Canada.

If the IRB rejects your claim, you have to leave Canada. If the law allows, you may ask for the decision to be reviewed.

You may also have other options.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: