Groups of five: Who can apply
To be eligible, each member of the group must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- be at least 18 years old
- live in the same community where the refugee is expected to settle, and
- agree to give settlement support for the length of the sponsorship (usually 1 year)
Your group must
- provide a settlement plan
- prove the group has the money to sponsor a refugee for 1 year
- The amount of money needed will depend on how many refugees you sponsor. You can find out more about costs in the Guide to the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program.
Know your responsibilities as a sponsor
Make sure you know the responsibilities you must meet as a sponsor. We assess and monitor sponsorship groups regularly to make sure you’re fully supporting the refugees you’re sponsoring. This includes occasionally checking in with the refugees you’re sponsoring.
Are you in Quebec?
Quebec has its own process to sponsor refugees. For sponsors in Quebec, visit refugee sponsorship in Quebec.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: