Post-graduation work permit eligibility: 

To be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), you must meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Your study program must be 900 hours or longer.
  2. Your program must lead to 1 of the following:
    • diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) (diploma of vocational studies [DVS] in English)
    • attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP) (attestation of vocational specialization [AVS])
    • diplôme d’études collégiales (DEC) (diploma of college studies [DCS])
    • attestation d’études collégiales (AEC) (attestation of collegial studies [AS])
  3. You’re enrolled in a PGWP-eligible program.
  4. You must meet the other PGWP criteria.

Programs currently eligible for the post-graduation work permit

If your program isn’t PGWP-eligible

If you haven’t started studying yet

You aren’t eligible for a PGWP. You may still be eligible for a different work permit. Learn more about eligibility requirements.

If you’re in the middle of your studies

The time you spent studying before the date your program became ineligible may be counted toward a PGWP in the future if

  1. your program is 8 months or, in the case of secondary or post-secondary qualifying programs leading to a DVS or an AVS, 900 hours or longer
  2. your program leads to 1 of the following:
    • DEP (DVS in English)
    • ASP (AVS)
    • DEC (DCS)
    • AEC (ACS)
  3. you meet the other PGWP criteria

How long your PGWP is valid depends on the length of your study program. You may also be eligible for a different type of work permit after your PGWP expires. Learn more about eligibility requirements.

If you completed your studies

If you completed your study program before the date it became ineligible, you’re eligible for a PGWP. Find out how to apply.

Post-Graduation Work Permit Program information is provided by provincial or territorial governments and is subject to change at any time. The Government of Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of the information supplied by external sources. Check with the education ministry of the school’s province or territory before you make a decision based on the list above.

Page details

Date modified: