Work in Canada after you graduate: who can apply

On this page

Eligibility criteria

You have 180 days after you get your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

To be eligible, your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days.

Don’t let your status expire while you wait for your marks

If your study permit will expire before you get your marks, you have 2 options. You can

If you stay in Canada and let your permit expire, you must apply to restore your status as a student to apply for your PGWP. To restore your status, you must pay additional fees.

You can apply for a PGWP if:

  • your study permit is still valid
  • you have a valid visitor record
  • you submitted an application to extend your study permit before it expired and no decision has been made on your application
  • you submitted an application to change your status to visitor before your study permit expired and no decision has been made on your application

You must also have

  • completed a study program
    • at a designated learning institution
    • that was at least 8 months long and
    • that led to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program
    • this doesn’t include your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took an approved leave from your studies
  • graduated from one of the following:
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec)
    • a private post-secondary school (in Quebec) that operates under the same rules as public schools in Quebec
    • a private secondary or post-secondary school (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, that leads to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP)
      • an ASP can be less than 900 hours if it’s combined with a DEP
    • a Canadian private school that can award degrees under provincial law (for example, Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree), but only if you’re enrolled in a study program that leads to a degree as authorized by the province


You aren’t eligible for a PGWP if you

  • already received a PGWP
  • studied English or French as a second language
  • took general interest or self-improvement courses
  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada
  • had funding from Global Affairs Canada
    • Note: If you got a Study in Canada scholarship, you’re still eligible for a PGWP.
  • got the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
  • participated in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchanges Program
  • participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
  • completed the majority of a study program by distance learning (online courses, e-learning or correspondence)
  • completed a study program at a non-Canadian institution located in Canada

If your passport expires before your PGWP should have

Make sure your passport is valid for the entire length of time your PGWP would be.

If your passport expires earlier than your PGWP would, we

  • issue you a PGWP that’s only valid until your passport expires
  • tell you if you need to extend it to get the full validity of your PGWP

You can only extend a PGWP if we tell you that you can. If this happens, you have to apply on paper to extend your PGWP for it to be extended to its full length.

Special cases

If you’re in any of these groups, you may be eligible for a PGWP.

COVID-19 changes to PGWP eligibility

There are temporary changes to the eligibility criteria for a PGWP because of COVID-19. Check the COVID-19 page for international students before you apply to get the most current information about who’s eligible.

Accelerated programs

If you complete your study program in less time than the normal length of the program, you may be eligible for a PGWP valid for the full length of your program.

For example, if you complete a 1 year study program in 8 months, you may be able to get a PGWP valid for 1 year.

Distance learning

If distance learning makes up less than 50% of your study program, you may be eligible for a PGWP. The length of the PGWP would match the length of your program, including both in-class and distance courses. Any distance courses completed outside Canada won’t be included in the length of the PGWP.

If distance learning makes up more than 50% of your study program, you aren’t eligible for a PGWP.

Taking leave from your studies

You may not be eligible for a PGWP if

  • you take an unauthorized leave from your study program and
  • we find you didn’t meet the conditions of your study permit by taking this leave

There are a few cases where you may be able to take an authorized leave of up to 150 days from your study program and still meet the conditions of your study permit. If your leave is authorized, you may still be eligible for a PGWP. Find out what counts as an authorized leave from your studies.

Transfers between schools

If you transferred between designated learning institutions (DLIs)

The combined length of your studies must be at least 8 months to be eligible.

If you transferred from a non-DLI to a DLI

Only the time you spend studying at the DLI will be counted. You must spend at least 8 months at the DLI to be eligible for a PGWP.

Canadian study programs with an overseas component

If your study program has an overseas component, you may be eligible for a PGWP as long as you earn a credit from a Canadian school for it. The PGWP will only be valid for the length of the time you studied in Canada.

Flight school graduates

To be eligible for a PGWP, a flight school graduate must meet all the eligibility listed above, and 1 of the following:

  • have completed a flight training course at a DLI training centre and now have a Canadian commercial pilot’s license
  • have or be in the process of getting an instructor’s rating and a job offer as a flight instructor from a DLI flight training centre

Graduates of certain Quebec schools

Quebec graduates of vocational and professional training programs must meet the conditions listed below.


You must have graduated from a recognized

  • public secondary school
  • private secondary school
  • private post-secondary school

Learn about recognized schools in Quebec.

Degrees, diplomas and certificates

To be eligible, degrees, diplomas and certificates must be issued by the Gouvernement du Québec.

These include

  • from public or private secondary schools
    • diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP)” (diploma in vocational studies)
    • attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP)” (attestation of vocational specialization)
  • from private post-secondary schools
    • diplôme d’études collégiales (DEC)” (diploma in college studies)
    • attestation d’études collégiales (AEC)” (attestation of college studies)

Program length

The program you attended and completed must have been full-time, and for at least 8 months if you completed a “diplôme d’études collégiales (DEC)” or an “attestation d’études collégiales (AEC)”.

If you completed a “diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP)” or an “attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP)” it must be at least 900 hours.

Supporting documents

When you apply for a PGWP, you must include

  • an official letter from the school that confirms the length of the study program (in hours or months) and the program code and either
    • the certificate or official document that confirms you completed your program
    • an official transcript from a Quebec school board or recognized private school
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: