International students travelling outside Canada and then re-entering

If you have a valid study permit

You may be able to re-enter Canada as an international student if you have any of the following:

  • a valid study permit
  • approval for a study permit or study permit extension

You must also meet all the following criteria:

Having an eTA or a visa doesn’t guarantee that we’ll let you back into Canada. The only exception to needing a valid visitor visa is if you travel only to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon, and you return to Canada with a valid study permit. This exception doesn’t apply for eTA holders.

You must show the border services officer that you meet all the requirements listed above before we’ll let you re-enter.

If your study permit extension hasn’t been approved yet

You won’t be able to study until we approve your study permit extension.

If you applied to extend your study permit but we haven’t approved your application yet, you won’t be able to enter Canada.

Page details

Date modified: