Live-in Caregiver Program: who is eligible
Who is eligible
The Live-in Caregiver Program is closed to new applicants. You can only hire a caregiver through the program if you have:
- found a caregiver who already has a work permit in the Live-in Caregiver Program and who is looking for a new employer and
- been approved for a Labour Market Impact Assessment that shows the caregiver has agreed to live in your home
If this does not apply to you, you can still hire a foreign caregiver. You and the caregiver can decide if they will live in or out of your home. You will need to get a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Service Canada and the caregiver must apply for a regular work permit.
The instructions on this page are only for employers who want to hire a caregiver with a work permit in the Live-in Caregiver Program.
To hire a caregiver through the Live-in Caregiver Program, you must:
- first try to fill your position with a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- be able to pay them
- give them acceptable living space in your home
- offer them a job caring for
- a child
- an elderly person
- a person with a disability
You must also hire a caregiver who:
- is already part of the Live-in Caregiver Program
- wants to continue working on a live-in basis
If you have found a caregiver who is already part of the program:
- you will need to get a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment
- the caregiver needs to get a new work permit
- you must include the live-in arrangement in the Labour Market Impact Assessment application
Caregiving must be the main responsibility of the job. For example, you can’t hire through the Live-in Caregiver Program if the main duties are house cleaning.
Make sure you meet all the rules of the program as an employer before you hire a caregiver.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: