How to apply

Get your documents ready

To apply, you’ll need

Check if you need a medical exam

Find out if you need a medical exam for your application. Most people don’t need a medical exam to enter Canada through this measure.

If you need a medical exam

  • You should find a doctor and get an upfront medical exam before applying.
  • You'll get an open work permit with no medical restrictions.

If you don’t need a medical exam

  • You’ll get an open work permit with limits on where you can work.

Apply online through the IRCC Portal

If the IRCC portal requests your UCI

If you’re applying for the first time, you won’t have a Unique Client Identifier (UCI) yet. Enter 00000000 if the portal asks for your UCI. You can then continue with your application.

  1. Make a new account if it’s your first time using the IRCC Portal.
    1. Once you enter your email address, we’ll send you a code to sign up.
  2. After you log in

    1. Click Apply to visit, study or work in Canada as a temporary resident.
    2. On the next page, check the box at the bottom that says I’m ready to start my application.
    3. If you’re applying to bring eligible family with you
      • Answer Yes when asked Do you want to apply for more than 1 person at the same time?
      • Select “Family” as the type of group that applies to your situation.
      • On the Manage group page, click Add member for each member of your family.
      • You must complete an application for each family member, but you can submit them all at once when you’re done.
    4. When you’re asked what you want to apply for, choose an open work permit for an H-1B visa holder.
    5. Continue answering the remaining questions to complete your application.

Start your application

Who’s eligible to apply on paper

You’re only eligible to apply on paper for this policy if you have a disability that prevents you from applying online.

Page details

Date modified: