Who we are:
The Impact Assessment Agency of Canada is a federal body accountable to the Minister of Environment and Climate Change.
The Agency delivers high-quality impact assessments that contribute to informed decision making on major projects, in support of sustainable development.
What we do:
The Agency, through its delivery of impact assessments, serves Canadians by looking at both positive and negative environmental, economic, social, and health impacts of potential projects. The Agency:
- leads and manages the impact assessment process for all federally designated major projects;
- leads Crown engagement and serves as the single point of contact for consultation and engagement with Indigenous peoples during impact assessments for designated projects;
- provides opportunities and funding to support public participation in impact assessments;
- works to ensure that mitigation measures are applied and are working as intended;
- promotes uniformity and coordination of impact assessment practices across Canada through research, guidance and ongoing discussion with stakeholders and partners; and
- works with a range of international jurisdictions and organizations to exchange best practices in impact assessment.
How we work:
The Agency, through its seven offices, leads all federal reviews of major resources projects.
The Agency works with other bodies like the Canadian Energy Regulator (formerly the National Energy Board), the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, Offshore Boards and other federal departments and agencies. The Agency also works in cooperation with provinces and territories, Indigenous jurisdictions, environmental organizations and industry.
When we began:
In 1994, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency was established to prepare for the implementation of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, which came into effect in early 1995.
In 2019, the Impact Assessment Act was enacted which created the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada and repealed the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: