Minister Bains announces members of new Industry Strategy Council
June 2, 2020 – Ottawa, Ontario
The Government of Canada recognizes that a smooth economic recovery will require continued collaboration between the public and private sectors in the wake of the direct effects, changes and adaptations related to COVID-19. That is why we have convened a high-calibre panel of business leaders to share their direct perspectives on the scope of the challenges that Canadian industries face.
Today, the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, announced the names of nine business leaders who will join Monique Leroux—a strong business leader with a distinguished career in Canadian finance—on the new and recently announced Industry Strategy Council. Dr. Mona Nemer, Canada’s Chief Science Advisor, joins as an ex-officio member to provide an important perspective on science and research. The Council provides a forum for the Government to hear from and collaborate with well-respected industry leaders to assess the scope and depth of COVID-19’s impact on industries and to understand specific sectoral pressures.
In addition to Monique Leroux and Dr. Mona Nemer, the Government has enlisted the following senior business leaders to be part of the Council, which will hold virtual meetings every two weeks over the next 90 days:
- Murad Al-Katib, President and Chief Executive Officer, AGT Food and Ingredients – Agri-food sector
- John Baker, M.S.C., President and Chief Executive Officer, D2L Corporation – Digital Industries sector
- Rhonda Barnet, President and Chief Operating Officer, AVIT Manufacturing – Advanced Manufacturing sector
- Paviter Binning, President, Wittington Investments, Limited – Retail sector
- Ben Cowan-Dewar, Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer, Cabot Links – Tourism & Hospitality sector
- Karimah Es Sabar, Chief Executive Officer and Partner, Quark Venture – Health & Biosciences sector
- Karen Hamberg, Vice President of External Affairs and Sustainability, Westport Fuel Systems Inc. – Clean Technology sector
- Mark Little, President and Chief Executive Officer, Suncor Energy Inc. – Resources of the Future sector
- Sylvie Vachon, President and Chief Executive Officer, Montreal Port Authority – Transportation sector
Each member, including two returning Chairs of the Economic Strategy Tables, has insight into an industry that is of vital importance to Canada at this time.
“Collaboration is our best strategy to help all Canadians emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic as strong as possible. Ministers and departments across government will be engaged as we work with the Industry Strategy Council to continue our whole-of-government approach to confronting COVID-19. I look forward to working hand in hand with businesses toward a recovery that makes Canadian industry more prosperous, equitable and dynamic than ever.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry
“It is both a great honour and a tremendous responsibility to be asked to chair the Council, and I look forward to working with all members to build a starting point for Canada’s economic recovery in this new global context. The Council will be a partnership between the private sector and the Government of Canada to help gain an understanding of industry challenges.”
– Monique Leroux, Chair, Industry Strategy Council
The Industry Strategy Council draws its inspiration from the unprecedented collaborative model that was established through the Economic Strategy Tables, set up in October 2017.
The Council will ensure that it hears from a diverse range of perspectives, including from Indigenous Peoples.
The Economic Strategy Tables are receiving a renewed mandate as part of the Government’s Innovation and Skills Plan to create well-paying jobs and strengthen the middle class by investing in high-growth sectors where Canada has a globally competitive advantage.
The Council’s composition resembles that of the Economic Strategy Tables, representing key industries: advanced manufacturing, agri-food, clean technology, digital industries, health and bio-sciences, resources of the future, and tourism and hospitality. In response to particular pressures related to COVID-19, the Government is adding two new Tables, representing the retail and transportation sectors.
Membership of the Tables will be announced in the coming weeks.
Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Follow Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada on Twitter: @ISED_CA
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: