Access to Information and Privacy at PacifiCan
Pacific Economic Development Canada (PacifiCan) is fully committed to both the spirit and the intent of the Access to Information Act. We ensure transparency concerning all we do, based on the principle of open government.
PacifiCan is equally committed to both the spirit and the intent of the Privacy Act. We protect the privacy of individuals and their personal information.
The Access to Information Act gives Canadian citizens, permanent residents or any person (or entity) a right to access records under the control of a federal government institution. The act upholds 3 principles:
- Government information should be available to the public.
- Exceptions to the right of access should be limited and specific.
- Decisions on disclosure should be reviewed independently of government.
The Privacy Act protects the privacy of any personal information of yours held by a government institution. It also gives you the right to access the information and to request correction if you believe there is an error or omission. The act also gives you the right to know:
- why your information is collected by the government
- how it will be used
- how long it will be kept
- to whom access will be provided
At PacifiCan, the ATIP unit is a part of the Finance and Corporate Management Secretariat. The ATIP unit administers the Access to Information and Privacy program for PacifiCan. This includes:
- responding to access to information and privacy requests as well as requests to correct personal information
- ensuring that PacifiCan is compliant with the requirements to collect, use, disclose, manage, secure and dispose of personal information under the provisions of the Privacy Act
- maintaining department specific personal information banks (PIBs)
- monitoring departmental performance in the administration of the ATIP program and preparing annual reports to Parliament
Contact PacifiCan ATIP unit
Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
Pacific Economic Development Canada
c/o Sundeep Cheema
Prairies Economic Development Canada
1500-9700 Jasper Av NW
Edmonton AB T5J 4H7
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: