Economic Development Initiative (EDI) in British Columbia
The Economic Development Initiative (EDI) provides financial support to projects that encourage economic diversification, business development, innovation, partnerships and increased support for small and medium-sized enterprises in official language minority communities (OLMCs).
Investing in our future
In March 2018, the Government of Canada announced its Action Plan for Official Languages 2018-2023: Investing in Our Future. The Plan comes with a budget of $2.7 billion over 5 years allocated among 15 federal departments and agencies.
- News Release: Action Plan for Official Languages 2018-2023: Investing in Our Future represents the largest federal investment in official languages in our history
PacifiCan, along with Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada and the other regional development agencies, delivers the EDI.
PacifiCan and PrairiesCan are investing $3.2 million through the EDI over 5 years for projects that help develop capacities, expertise and partnerships. All projects are for economic development of businesses and communities, and the sustainable growth of Western Canada’s Francophone communities.
How to apply for the EDI
We are delivering the EDI as a pilot in Western Canada through the Fonds de développement économique francophone de l’Ouest canadien (FDEFO). The 4 Francophone Economic Development Organizations (FEDOs) in Western Canada are managing this fund.
If you have a project idea and would like to submit an application, please contact your local Francophone Economic Development Organizations (FEDOs) or email: email@example.com
The eligibility criteria are:
- Applicant(s) must work in French and contribute to the development and vitality of British Columbia's Francophonie.
- Projects must serve a Francophone clientele from OLMCs in British Columbia.
Projects funded under the program may be local, provincial or interprovincial in scope. They must demonstrate a real impact with clear and measurable benefits in at least one of the following sectors:
- economic diversification and development, including trade and investment
- economic immigration
- the green economy
Examples of approved EDI projects
EDI projects funded in Western Canada include:
Fédération des francophones de la C.-B. (FFCB): Rallye Bilingue
- Contribution of $13,000
- Project description: Create « Rallye Bilingue», a Francophone tourism circuit to encourage business activities in 5 regions of the province, with 8 Francophone organizations. It includes significant financial contribution from several partners.
- Results: The project brings awareness of the Francophone cultural heritage to Francophone youth that participate in the tourism circuit through the game's specific routes.
Alliance Française de Vancouver.
- Contribution of $50,000
- Project description: Enlarge cultural and community space for performing arts, art exhibitions, cooking, the media library, classrooms and other uses to accommodate the growing needs of the Francophone community.
- Contribution of $45,000
- Project description: Create a boat ramp to offer better access to the Red River in Ste. Agathe. This new access will offer Francophone communities in the vicinity the opportunity to increase river usage and develop more recreation and tourism opportunities.
Centre culturel francophone de Vancouver
- Contribution of $37,000
- Project description: Digitally broadcast Francophone performing arts and events. This includes purchasing quality tools for live streaming to the larger audiences necessary to profitably broadcast live French-language shows.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: