Victims – Receiving Information

Can victims receive information about the offender who harmed them?

Yes. Under the Corrections and Conditional Release Act (CCRA), victims of crime have a right to certain information about the offender who harmed them while that person is under the jurisdiction of the Parole Board of Canada.

Who is considered a victim under the CCRA?

Under the CCRA a person is a victim of crime if:

  • they have been harmed as a result of a criminal offence;
  • they are a spouse, conjugal partner, relative of, or person legally responsible for, a victim who has died or is not able to act for themselves (e.g. the victim is ill or a child);
  • they have custody of, or are responsible for, dependants of a victim who is deceased or is unable to act for themselves;
  • the person who harmed them has not been prosecuted or convicted, but the victim has made a complaint to the police or Crown Attorney's office.

What information is a victim entitled to receive from the Parole Board?

  • the offender's name
  • the offence and the court that convicted the offender
  • the sentence start date and length
  • the offender's eligibility and review dates for unescorted temporary absences, day and full parole, and statutory release

Does a victim automatically receive information from the Parole Board?

No. To receive information from the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) you must register as a victim with the PBC. This is to respect victims who do not wish to receive information about the offender who harmed them. To register, complete an Request for Victim Registration form (PDF 166 KB)

What happens once I register to receive information?

Once you have been registered, you will get information about the offender for as long as they are under the Board's jurisdiction or until you ask to no longer be notified.

Keep in mind: if you change address or telephone number(s), be sure to update your contact information with the PBC.

Can I receive more information about the offender?

Yes. You may, upon request, receive more information if the PBC determines that your interest as a victim clearly outweighs any compromise of the offender's privacy resulting from the disclosure.

Additional information may include:

  • the offender's age;
  • the location of incarceration;
  • the date of any release of the offender the Board has approved;
  • the date of any Parole Board review;
  • any conditions imposed;
  • the reason for an unescorted temporary absence;
  • the reason why an offender waived a hearing, if a reason was given;
  • the destination of the offender when released and whether the offender will be near the victim while travelling to that destination;
  • whether the offender is in custody and, if not, the reason why; and
  • any appeal of a PBC decision by the offender, and its outcome.

Can a victim designate someone to receive information on their behalf?

Yes. You can name a representative or agent to act on your behalf. To do so, send a written notice to the PBC authorizing the representative or agent.

Can I get a copy of a decision in an offender's case?

Yes. You can request a PBC decision, and the reasons for the decision, through the Board's Registry of Decisions. These decisions relate to conditional release, an offender's return to prison or detention, as well as decisions and reasons of the PBC's Appeal Division.

The PBC may exempt information in decisions that could reveal a confidential source of information, jeopardize a person's safety or hinder an offender's return to society as a law-abiding citizen.

How do I request a decision?

To request a Parole Board decision, submit a Request for Decision Registry form. You don't have to be a registered victim; PBC decisions are available to any member of the public.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: