Fingerprint-based Criminal Record Check
Instructions for obtaining a fingerprint based copy of your criminal record (Only applies to living applicants)
In order to facilitate the retrieval of your court and/or police documents for an expungement application, a fingerprint based criminal record check can be processed. Use this wording in your request: Privacy Act application type.
This type of request will determine if you have an existing criminal record within the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) National Repository of Criminal Records. Should a criminal record exist, a copy of your criminal record will be provided to you in the form of a report, containing information such as file numbers, the date and place of sentencing, charge, and court dispositions.
This information may assist you in determining the appropriate court(s) and or police agency/agencies to contact and simplify the process of collecting other relevant documents needed for your expungement application.
A report containing a copy of the contents of your criminal record check or a letter indicating that no criminal record exists will be sent to your mailing address.
Please note that should you choose to share your entire criminal record report with the Parole Board of Canada, only the information relevant to the expungement application will be used for processing.
Here are the steps to obtain a fingerprint-based criminal record check from the RCMP’s National Repository of Criminal Records, under: Privacy Act application type.
- You must go to a local police agency or accredited private fingerprint agency to have your fingerprints taken. For more information, visit the RCMP’s Criminal record checks.
- You will need to provide two pieces of identification, one being a valid government issued photo identification, along with the following information:
- your full name
- your date of birth
- your sex
- your mailing address
- your phone number, fax number or email address.
- You must state that you are requesting a criminal record check under: Privacy Act application type “other”. Indicate that you are seeking a copy of “RCMP Criminal Record data holding including active criminal history, pardon record and archived record”.
- You must present the “Instruction letter for individuals applying for an expungement order” to the person taking your fingerprint
Instruction letter for individuals applying for an expungement order requesting a criminal record check
Present the following instructions to the agency taking your fingerprints for the purpose of your expungement application.
- Re: Fingerprint-based criminal record check for the purpose of an application for an Expungement Order.
- Privacy Act Application Type – Other.
- Use application type: Privacy Act – Sub Application type – Other.
- Application specifics/Provide Details: Expungement application, Active, Suspended, Archived.
- Send results field: Individual. (Must be the applicant’s mailing address, cannot be a third party)
If you require further information, please contact CCRTIS-SCICTR@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.
- Date modified: