ARCHIVED - Evaluation of the C-EnterNet Program Final Report
Annex D: Focus Group Moderator’s Guide
Welcome everyone. My name is Chris Boughton. I’m a Senior Consultant with Government Consulting Services, Public Works & Government Services Canada. [INTRODUCE OTHER TEAM MEMBER.]
Our evaluation team has been commissioned to assist the Public Health Agency of Canada in evaluating the C-EnterNet Program. The evaluation is examining the results of the program, its design and delivery, and its cost-effectiveness. The evaluation will help to inform future decision-making related to the Program.
Thanks for participating in this discussion today. This discussion is an important source of information for the evaluation. In addition to today’s discussion, we are also conducting: interviews with C-EnterNet staff, stakeholders and experts; a survey of recipients of C-EnterNet information; and other research activities.
Everything you say during the discussion will remain confidential and anonymous; no names will be reported with comments.
We should point out that there are no right or wrong answers; we are looking for your perspectives on the program. My role today is to make sure we cover all of the topics we need to in the time provided, and that everyone gets the chance to speak.
Are there any questions before we begin?
1. To start, we would like everyone to briefly introduce themselves. Please give your first name and how long you have been with the Region. [GO AROUND CIRCLE.]
[ASK AS A GROUP:]
2. What are your specific activities and duties with respect to the C-EnterNet Program?
3. How familiar are you with the C-EnterNet Program as a whole?
Program Success (50 minutes)
We would like to get your perspectives on the impact of the C-EnterNet program. This could include either positive or negative impacts or results.
4. Has the C-EnterNet Program resulted in any changes (e.g., in the way you conduct your work)?
[DEVELOP LIST WITH PARTICIPANTS. SEPARATE LIST OF CHANGES INTO THOSE AT THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT, AND OTHERS. PROBE FOR THE IMPACT OF EACH OF THESE CHANGES.]
PROBE IF NOT MENTIONED:
- Has the program improved the accuracy of available data, for example?
- Has it resulted in the use of standardized tools at your health department?
- Has the data/information been used in any publications or materials developed by the health department or by others?
- To your knowledge, have any programs, policies, practices or health messages been informed, created, or evaluated using the information produced by
- Any other changes/results? For example, do you think that C-EnterNet has had any results that were not originally intended, either positive or negative?
5. Either within or outside of your health department, do you think that C-EnterNet has helped to increase knowledge of infectious enteric disease?
- If so, in what ways and with whom? [PROBE FOR SPECIFIC EXAMPLES.]
Design and Delivery, Cost-Effectiveness(25 minutes)
6. Are there elements of the program’s design and delivery that have contributed positively to the success of the program? In other words, what parts of the program work particularly well, if any?
7. Do you think there are elements that may have hampered the success of the program? (What elements of the program appear to work less well?)
8. Do you have any suggestions for changes to C-EnterNet that would improve the program? This could, for example, include changes that would improve how well the program functions and/or reduce the costs of administering the program.
[FOR EACH CHANGE SUGGESTED, PROBE FOR THE EXPECTED IMPROVEMENT/RESULT OF THAT CHANGE.]
Final Comments (5-10 minutes)
That’s all the specific questions we had for today. Did anyone have any final comments about the Program or about anything we have discussed today? [THANK GROUP FOR THEIR TIME AND ASSISTANCE.]
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: