Consultation: A vision for public health assessment for Canada’s future
Current status: Open
This consultation is open from November 20, 2023 to March 1, 2024.
The Public Health Agency of Canada is leading Vision 2030, an initiative to develop a vision for what public health assessment in Canada could look like by 2030. We want to hear from you to make sure that the vision is informed by diverse perspectives from across Canada.
What is public health assessment:
Public health assessment is a term used to describe the on-going process of health data, including:
This process lets us plan, implement and evaluate interventions to protect and improve the health of different populations.
Many public health professionals use the term 'public health surveillance' to describe this process, however we acknowledge that for many people the word 'surveillance' means something different.
Throughout this page we use the term 'assessment' in two ways:
- To refer to monitoring environmental and health status and response to identified problems and hazards.
- Interchangeably with surveillance, which is an important part of public health systems aimed at protecting and improving population health.
Join in: How to participate
We've prepared two discussion guides to provide context and insights related to the questions in this survey:
We encourage you to refer to the most relevant guide for you while completing the survey.
The consultation period will be open for 103 days and will take about 20 to 30 minutes to complete.
Who is the focus of this consultation
We're seeking input from persons or organizations in a health-related field, such as:
- healthcare providers
- healthcare administrators
- allied health professionals
- public health practitioners
- academic and research professionals
- non-government health organizations
- community health worker or advocates
- government administrators or policy makers
- industry professionals in health-related fields
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis health-related organizations and groups
Members of the public with an interest in the subject matter can also participate.
Goal of the consultation
The goal of the consultation is to gather meaningful input to strengthen future public health assessment in Canada. Assessment is essential to public health practice, with the goal of promoting and protecting the health of people living in Canada. This survey will touch on the following themes:
- current or new health concerns that would benefit from being assessed
- envisioning new improvements to how risks and health are assessed
- evaluating existing public health assessment processes
- Date modified: