Veterinary antimicrobial sales reporting
Reporting by manufacturers, importers and compounders on the sales of medically important antimicrobials for veterinary use supports our antimicrobial surveillance program and stewardship.
On this page
- Why we are collecting this information
- Rules for sales reporting
- Who this applies to
- How to report
- Related resources
Why we are collecting this information
Following international best practices, we collect reports on the sale of veterinary antimicrobials considered to be important in human medicine. This information helps:
- give a better understanding of the volume of antimicrobials available for use in animals
- support surveillance and interpretation of patterns and trends of antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
- provide relevant information that could help assess the impact on human health from the use of specific antimicrobials in animals
Rules for sales reporting
These rules apply to manufacturers, importers, and compounders of medically important antimicrobials for veterinary use.
Sales reports are required to be submitted every year and to reflect data collected over the period of January 1 to December 31. The annual deadline to submit sales reports of the previous calendar year to Health Canada is March 31 of each year. The first reporting year is 2018 and sales reports will need to be submitted by March 31, 2019.
Sales reports of drugs on List A: List of Certain Antimicrobial Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients for veterinary use must include:
- the total quantity sold or compounded
- the approximate quantity sold or compounded for each intended animal species
This includes antimicrobials imported or sold in Canada as products for veterinary use that contain an API set out on List A including compounded products.
Who this applies to
The following individuals must submit veterinary antimicrobial sales reports for drugs on List A: List of Certain Antimicrobial Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients:
- anyone importing a drug into Canada for sale
- the person who owns the trade name (or other mark controlled by them) and sells the product in Canada
- individuals who compound a product using APIs on List A. For example, a pharmacist or a veterinarian
How to report
You can access the Veterinary Antimicrobial Sales Reporting Form by email. Instructions and examples are included on the form.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: