COVID-19: Proof of vaccination in Canada
Your province or territory issues official proof of vaccination documents.
You need a proof of vaccination to:
- travel within and outside of Canada
- access services in some provinces and territories
On this page
- Types of proof
- Using your proof of vaccination
Types of proof
There are 2 types of proof:
- Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination
- provincial or territorial proof of vaccination
The Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination is now available in all provinces and territories.
Some provinces and territories also issue a provincial or territorial proof.
Check with your province or territory to see which proof they offer and which one you may need.
Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination
Your province or territory may call it by a different name, but it will follow the Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination format.
You can use this proof of vaccination when travelling within and outside of Canada.
You may also be able to use this proof to access non-essential services. Check with your province or territory to see what they accept.
Provincial or territorial proof of vaccination
The following provinces are still issuing a provincial proof of vaccination:
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
Check with your province or territory to make sure you understand which proof of vaccination you need.
Using your proof of vaccination
Travel within Canada
As of November 30, 2021, vaccination will be required for travel within and to depart Canada. A valid COVID-19 molecular test will no longer be accepted as an alternative to vaccination unless you're eligible for one of the limited exemptions.
Indigenous peoples and Northerners in remote communities
If you aren't fully vaccinated and are travelling to or from a remote community, visit:
Travel outside Canada
The Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination shows your vaccination history when you travel outside of and return to Canada. It's meant to simplify and facilitate border processing both in Canada and abroad.
However, your proof does not guarantee entry to another country.
Check the entry requirements for:
- the country you're travelling to
- any country you'll transit through
Many services in Canada, such as restaurants or sporting events, require proof of vaccination. Each province or territory decides which type of proof they accept and for which situation.
Check with the province or territory to make sure you understand which proof is required.
What COVID-19 information do you need?
- Find out if you can travel to Canada
- Testing and quarantine requirements
- Vaccinated travellers entering Canada
- Travelling within Canada
- Compassionate exemptions
- Foreign workers coming to Canada
- Passport services
- About the COVID-19 proof of vaccination
- How to get your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination
- Using your Canadian COVID-19 proof of vaccination
- COVID-19 vaccines overview
- Getting a vaccine or a booster
- Authorized vaccines
- Vaccine safety and possible side effects
- Income support
- Health and safety
- Additional economic and financial support
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: