Prevention of hepatitis E
Learn how hepatitis E can be prevented.
On this page
How can hepatitis E infections be prevented?
There is a vaccine for hepatitis E. It is widely used in China, but is not currently licensed in Canada or other industrialized countries.
How the body fights Hepatitis E is not well understood. However, if you have already had the virus, you will probably be immune to it for a long time.
You can also reduce the risk of infection by taking the following precautions.
- Wash your hands:
- after using the washroom
- after changing diapers
- before preparing or eating food
- When travelling to developing countries, take precautions with food and water:
- drink water from a safe supply, such as commercially bottled, carbonated or boiled water
- avoid ice cubes in drinks
- eat only foods that are well-cooked
- Use safe food practices.
- Avoid preparing food or beverages for others if you have been diagnosed with hepatitis E.
For more information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: