Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Thighs
Chicken thighs are versatile and great for stuffing. This recipe makes little chicken bundles stuffed with gooey cheese and chewy dates, with a delicious sweet and salty flavour. Try using other fillings such as dried apricots, diced apple, goat cheese, or walnuts.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) dates, pitted
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) ground black pepper
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- pinch ground cumin
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (2 lb/907 g)
- 16 bacon slices (1 lb/454 g)
- 16 toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Place a large cast iron frying pan in the oven to heat up.
- Soak the dates in a bowl of warm water and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the garlic powder, salt, pepper, thyme, basil and cumin. Mix well.
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs with the spice mixture.
- Drain the water from the dates and dry off using paper towel. Finely chop, add the cheese and mix well.
- Place a generous tablespoon of the date and cheese mixture in the centre of each thigh. Roll up and wrap a slice of bacon over each stuffed piece of chicken. Wrap another slice of bacon across each piece in the other direction. Tuck the bacon ends underneath. Skewer each piece with 2 toothpicks.
- Bake chicken in the heated cast iron pan for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Remove toothpicks before serving.
- Chill leftover chicken for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- To freeze, let it cool, then transfer to food safe containers, removing all excess air, and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw in fridge overnight and heat to serving temperature (165°F/74°C or higher).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: