Creamy Chicken Pasta Casserole
This recipe is family-friendly, serves a crowd and is delicious alongside your favourite vegetable.
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 lb (454 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast, large diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup (60 mL) butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) flour
- 4 cups (1 L) milk (2%, 3%, UHT, or diluted canned)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) mustard
- 2 ½ - 3 cups (~ 250 g) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) bread crumbs
- Optional: 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with half of the garlic powder, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes in several small batches. Remove from pot and set aside in a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of oil to the pot and cook the mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms to the chicken in the large bowl.
- Add the butter and onion to the pot. Cook for 2 minutes without browning. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, to make a thick paste (roux).
- Add 1 cup (250 mL) of milk and blend well using a whisk.
- Slowly add remaining milk, 1 cup at a time, bringing mixture back to a boil each time.
- Add the rest of the garlic powder, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and add the mustard. Mix well and pour the sauce over the mushrooms and chicken.
- Add the peas and pasta and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into a 9” x 13” (23 cm x 33 cm) ovenproof casserole pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the cheddar cheese and bread crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if using, and serve hot.
- When making a cream sauce, UHT or canned milk is a great alternative. If using canned milk in this recipe, be sure to dilute it with an equal amount of water first.
- Chill leftovers for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- To freeze, let it cool, then transfer pasta to food safe containers, removing all excess air, and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw in fridge overnight and heat to serving temperature (165°F/74°C or higher).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: