COVID-19: How to safely use a non-medical mask or face covering
Please select a language:
- العربية (Arabic)
- 中文 (简体) (Simplified Chinese)
- Paskwāwinīmowin (Cree)
- Dënesųłiné (Dene)
- فارسی (Farsi)
- Deutsch (German)
- ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ (ᓄᓇᕕᒃ) (Inuktitut (Nunavik))
- Italiano (Italian)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- Mikmaq (Mi'kmaq)
- Ojibwe Eastern
- Ojibwe Western
- ᐊᓂᐦᔑᓂᓃᒧᐏᐣ (Oji-Cree)
- Português (Portuguese)
- ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (Punjabi)
- Español (Spanish)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- українська (Ukrainian)
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
Date published: 2020-06-06
- DO wear a non-medical mask or face covering to protect others.
- DO ensure the mask is made of at least two layers of tightly woven fabric.
- DO inspect the mask for tears or holes.
- DO ensure the mask or face covering is clean and dry.
- DO wash your hands or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer before and after touching the mask or face covering.
- DO use the ear loops or ties to put on and remove the mask.
- DO ensure your nose and mouth are fully covered.
- DO replace and launder your mask whenever it becomes damp or dirty.
- DO wash your mask with hot, soapy water and let it dry completely before wearing it again.
- DO store re-usable masks in a clean paper bag until you wear it again.
- DO discard masks that cannot be washed in a plastic lined garbage bin after use.
- DON'T reuse masks that are moist, dirty or damaged.
- DON'T wear a loose mask.
- DON'T touch the mask while wearing it.
- DON'T remove the mask to talk to someone.
- DON'T hang mask from your neck or ears.
- DON'T share your mask.
- DON'T leave your used mask within the reach of others.
Remember, wearing a non-medical mask or face covering alone will not prevent the spread of COVID-19. You must also wash your hands often, practise physical distancing and stay home if you are sick.
Do your part. Wear a non-medical mask or face covering to protect others when you can't maintain a 2 metre distance.
Non-medical masks are not recommended for:
- people who suffer from an illness or disabilities that make it difficult to put on or take off a mask
- those who have difficulty breathing
- children under the age of 2 years
Don't judge others for not wearing a mask.
Kindness is important as some people may not be able to wear a mask or face covering.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: