Late Life Transitions, Mental Wellness and the Importance of Maintaining Social Connections
Stay socially connected
- Stay in touch with family and friends – use the phone, social media or visit in person.
- Volunteer in your community.
- Offer to help your neighbours – pick up the mail or take someone to an appointment or social event.
Plan for change
- Think about the future and what can ease transitions.
- Share your ideas and plans for change with family and friends.
- Find information that can help you plan for changes.
Stay active, in body and mind
- Stay physically active – go for a walk or join an exercise class.
- Take time for a hobby or try something new.
- Explore new ways to get around, such as the city bus or sharing a ride.
Find emotional support
- Know what changes you can control.
- Talk with family, friends, or a health professional if you feel sad or lonely.
- Find helpful information at a local seniors, community or health centre.
- Date modified: