Scheduling a test of written expression
If you are not a federal public servant:
- second language tests are only by invitation from federal organizations, following your application to a bilingual position
- the test can only be scheduled for you by the human resources (HR) office of a federal organization
Note: You cannot book your own test or be tested in anticipation of future employment, or for any other reason. Testing sessions are offered only for a selection process for a bilingual position.
If you are a federal public servant who:
- participates in a selection process for a bilingual position, the hiring organization will make the arrangements to have you tested, if necessary
- wants or needs to be tested for other reasons than a selection process, direct your request to your manager and HR division, who will make the necessary arrangements. HR must be involved in order for you to be tested for second language, as public servants, including members of the Canadian Armed Forces, cannot book their own test directly with the Public Service Commission (PSC)
Note: There is no mechanism whereby candidates, including public servants, can pay to be tested.
If you have a disability or a condition that could affect your performance on the test, please notify the person that scheduled your test as soon as possible so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
Rescheduling or cancelling
- only the organization that scheduled the test appointment for you can cancel it or make changes to the date and time of the appointment
- if you are unable to attend the testing session, you must notify the organization that set up the appointment in order for them to determine if other arrangements can be made
Retest waiting period
There is a 30-day waiting period before you can retake the test of written expression, regardless of the format (online or paper). If you retake this test before the waiting period has elapsed, your result will not be valid, and a new retest period will be set from your most recent test date.
- Date modified: